The ALPHIN HUMANITIES BUILDING is named in honor of Hazel C. Alphin of El Dorado. Formerly the dining hall, it was remodeled into a classroom and faculty office building in 1984-85. It contains five classrooms, two seminar rooms, faculty offices, the Kresge Art Gallery, the Fulkerson Art Studio, a drawing studio, and a faculty lounge. The Alphin Room, named in memory of Hendrick Alphin, is used for Board of Trustees’ meetings and other special gatherings.
The BROWN CHAPEL AND FINE ARTS BUILDING is named in memory of William Clark Brown, Sr., Allen Brown, and Josephine Brown, all of Hot Springs. Named in memory of Eugene Sloan, Class of 1912, the Sloan Auditorium seats 500 and is used for plays, concerts, convocations, and lectures. The Edwards Pipe Organ, a Holtkamp tracker pipe organ, was installed in 1980. The Ellebracht Chapel is named in memory of Eleanor Ellebracht, Class of 1958; this small chapel is used for campus worship services and holds a small Pilcher pipe organ. The Bevens Music Room on the south side of the building is used for recitals, receptions, and meetings. The building also contains offices and classrooms for music faculty, practice rooms, and a choir and band room.
The HOLLOWAY THEATRE was completed in 1991 and is named in memory of I. Graham Holloway, ’80. It contains a 150-seat black box theatre that can be set up for either three-quarter-round or proscenium theatre and support facilities, including a rehearsal room, a green room, set and costume workshops, and storage areas.
The LYON BUSINESS AND ECONOMICS BUILDING was completed in 1993. It contains Nucor Auditorium, the Entergy Computer Center, a computer classroom, five classrooms (including four Harvard Business School-style lecture rooms), two conference rooms, three seminar rooms, four team rooms, and twenty-two faculty offices. It houses the Career Center and the First Year Advisors. The 3rd-floor office suite provides offices for the director of institutional research. The building’s clock tower houses the 24- bell Tower Campbell Carillon.
The MABEE-SIMPSON LIBRARY was built in 1975 and renovated and expanded in 1995. It contains stacks, a faculty lounge, seminar rooms, offices, workrooms, reference and periodical collections, and the Dorothy P. Sydenstricker Room, which houses the College’s archives, rare book collection, and Regional Studies Center.
The DERBY CENTER FOR SCIENCE AND MATHEMATICS is named in honor of Lawrence E. and Marilyn Church Derby of Warren, Arkansas. This 60,854-square-foot facility was completed in 2003. The Derby Center is home to the College’s biology, chemistry, computer science, data science, exercise science, mathematics, neuroscience, physics, and psychology programs. It contains 13 instructional labs, 7 classrooms and seminar rooms, and 18 faculty offices.