A student will be placed on academic probation if any one of the following conditions occurs:
1. His/her grade point average falls below 1.50 in any semester.
2. His/her cumulative grade point average fails to meet the minimum for his/her class
(freshman, 1.75; sophomore, 1.90; junior, 2.00; and senior, 2.00);
3. She/he is administratively withdrawn for non-attendance from two courses taken
in a single or separate semester(s).
4. He/she fails to earn a grade of 'C' or better (not counting the second semester of a foreign language) in or drops a Core proficiency course twice.
5. He/she fails to earn a grade of 'C' or better in or drops at least one Core developmental course.
A student on probation for the first time will have the following restrictions and obligations:
- Limit credit hours attempted to a maximum of 15 credits for the semester;
- Prohibition from holding an officer or representative position in student government;
- Prohibition from serving as a captain, co-captain or any leadership position in any academic, athletic, social or co-curricular team/organization
- Required attendance at two student success workshops during the probationary semester
- Development of an academic improvement plan/strategy with the student's academic advisor(s).
A student on probation for the second consecutive semester will have the following
additional restrictions on activities:
- If a second-semester probationary student is part of a group representing Lyon College off-campus in any way (athletics, band, co-curricular activities, etc.) the student is barred from traveling for competitions, performances, excursions or events outside of Independence County with a team or group for the duration of the probationary period.
The status of a student on probation will be reconsidered after each semester. At that point,
the student will experience one of the following:
1. Removal from probation if he/she meets all conditions for good standing (see 2 above) and if any dropped or unsuccessfully completed Core developmental or proficiency course is completed with a grade of “C” or better (see 4 and 5 above).
2. Continuance of probation for a total of up to two semesters if his/her semester grade point average meets the minimum for his/her class while his/her cumulative grade point average remains below the minimum and if any dropped or unsuccessfully completed Core developmental or proficiency course is completed with a grade of “C” or better (see 4 and 5 above)
3. Suspension if he/she meets neither of the above two conditions.